Get into action! Download your FREE Checklist
Put the most important tips from this episode to work and take your marketing to another level! Get your free 10 Point Checklist for your next actionable steps.
This Week’s Guest:
Imagine having a great idea for a book. You have the knowledge and perseverance to write it yourself, but you don’t have the audience to make any sales. You don’t have to bury your book in a dark corner of Amazon where it will never see the light of day. There’s a way you can make five or six figures from your book without having a following. Here’s how it works: you take it to an influencer in the field who already has a broad following. Offer to publish your book in that person’s name and voice, and give them a percentage of the profits in exchange.
Brad Costanzo is an entrepreneur and growth strategist who helps business owners grow and expand. Like me, he’s also a podcast host, and he’ll share some words of wisdom specific to podcasters! Most of the episode, though, is relevant to anyone who wants to expand or create their business regardless of industry. He offers creative tips and insights that you can apply to your own situation. Check out this episode whether you’re an ultra-successful business owner, someone considering starting a new business or podcast, or anywhere in between.
Find Out More About Brad Here:
In This Episode:
- [01:28] – Brad talks about web strategy and shares what he discusses at the event where he and Stephan met.
- [06:28] – Stephan ties what Brad has been saying to the reason why the railroads went out of business. He and Brad then rave about the docuseries The Men Who Built America.
- [08:17] – The questions Brad has been talking about are his starting points, he explains. He also discusses leapfrog theory.
- [12:01] – Is Brad acquiring entire businesses, or just websites? It depends, he answers. He then talks about how he finds his deals.
- [15:49] – What Brad has been saying reminds Stephan of signs that say “we’ll buy your house for cash.”
- [18:38] – Stephan is reminded of something he learned at a real estate investing seminar: look at the rental section of a newspaper to find a property to buy. Brad then shares his thoughts on creating access to the assets you need.
- [21:54] – Brad brings up something that he talks a lot about on his podcast: access and influence.
- [24:32] – We hear more about leasing a website with the option to buy, which is something Brad has done recently.
- [27:11] – Brad and Stephan discuss Jay Abraham, who has been on Marketing Speak twice.
- [28:18] – Stephan has bought some websites for relatively small amounts of money, starting at $500, he explains.
- [31:33] – What has been Brad’s best deal so far?
- [34:33] – Brad has worked with brokers, but has never bought through one, only sold through them. He shares his thoughts on brokers.
- [38:25] -Does Brad have an example of using Jay Abraham’s strategy for something outside of acquiring websites or businesses?
- [43:27] – Stephan offers an example that he heard at the latest Podcast Movement conference. He then shares how he got into an event that he couldn’t afford at the time.
- [47:54] – As podcasters, the #1 thing we want is access to listeners, Brad points out. He then discusses some creative ways of reaching this goal.
- [52:44] – Stephan is reminded that he did a similar sort of triangulation last week.
- [54:52] – The big-picture thinking is Brad’s favorite thing to do, but also the hardest thing to do for himself rather than other people, he explains. Stephan then offers his advice on how to overcome this problem.
- [58:30] – Brad responds to Stephan’s suggestion.
- [61:29] – How can listeners get in touch with Brad or learn more?
Links and Resources:
- Bacon Wrapped Business
- Costanzo Marketing Group
- @BradCostanzo on Twitter
- Brad Costanzo on LinkedIn
- The Men Who Built America
- Leapfrog theory
- Winning Through Intimidation by Robert Ringer
- Robert Allen on Marketing Speak
- Dig Your Well Before You’re Thirsty by Harvey Mackay
- Jay Abraham on Marketing Speak: Build Your Business With The Strength Of The Parthenon
- Jay Abraham on Marketing Speak: Using SEO to Its Full Potential
- The Science of SEO
- Quiet Light Brokerage
- Podcast Movement
- Unleash the Power Within
- Tony Robbins
- Dave Asprey
- Byron Katie on the Optimized Geek
- Donny Epstein
Your Checklist of Actions to Take
☑ Understand my target market. I should know who I’m serving to give them the best product or service.
☑ Learn more about my customer’s journey to see what they’re experiencing. Getting all the details will help me be of better service.
☑ Remember the three and a half key questions asked to unlock a plethora of opportunities in marketing.
☑ The first question is “who else has what I need?” Evaluate my needs and find support. Getting these details will show me a clearer path to success.
☑ The second question is “who else needs what I have?” Take inventory of my assets and describe the kind of people who are most likely to support me.
☑ The third and a half questions are “what if?” and “why not?” Think of my possibilities and goals to keep me motivated and inspired.
☑ Find areas for collaboration. I don’t have to start from scratch to build a network. Find people in my life who I can help and who can help me in return.
☑ Look for businesses that are possible fixer-uppers. These are the buy low, sell high kinds of establishments.
☑ Nurture my email list. It has huge potential to be a vital asset in my business.
☑ Spend some time alone and in deep thought. Running an empire can be overwhelming so it’s good to pause and focus on myself.
S: In this episode number 127, you’re gonna learn how marketing strategy and business investing dovetail and can support each other in interesting and lucrative ways. Our guest today is Brad Costanzo. He’s an entrepreneur, marketing strategist, and business investor who started and exited multiple companies and is seeking of acquiring new businesses currently. He’s the founder of Costanzo Marketing Group, Costanzo Capital, and also the host of the podcast Bacon Wrapped Business. Brad, it’s great to have you on the show.
B: It’s great to be here. Thanks for inviting me.
S: Yeah, of course. We met through Neil Strauss, through his Secret Society which isn’t all that secret.
S: It has a website.
B: Yeah. It’s not that secret if it’s got a website. I don’t know. Does Skull and Bones have a website?
S: I don’t know. I haven’t Googled it.
B: You know you’re going to.
S: Yes. Let’s talk about the whole web strategies sort of thing because I know you spoke at the event that we met at, the Neil Strauss Intensive. What was it that you spoke about and let’s start there.
- Great toolsApril 3, 2018 by Kiki K. from United States
Great information! If you’re new or a vet to SEO this is a great resource. This guy is a powerful “unknown” resource in the industry.
- Awesome Podcast!March 23, 2018 by Enigma1 from United States
Very nutrient rich podcast, been listening to this Podcast for 3-weeks now I love it. Full of valuable info every podcast.
- Awesome show, highly recommend!January 29, 2018 by J. Barshop from United States
Stephan and his guests provide some incredibly actionable and compelling content, spotlighting the coming trends and absolute best marketing tactics to help you effectively grow your business. Highly recommend listening and subscribing to Marketing Speak if you want the knowledge AND mindsets to get ahead of the curve (and reach your overall business goals as a result)!
- Excellent Podcast! - My #1 ChoiceJuly 14, 2017 by Robert Avila from United States
Stephan's success in SEO, Entrepreneurship and Personal Development provides a unique perspective to his listeners that takes his podcast to a much higher level! What I enjoy most is that Stephan not only hosts interesting industry experts, he knows how to conduct a valuable interview ... he actually listens! He does an excellent job listening and asking great questions based on his guest's responses. This provides deeper clarity of the content for his listeners and he elicits much more valuable knowledge from his guests! Highly Valuable Content and Highly Recommended - Thanks Stephan!
- Amazing guests & insightsMarch 27, 2017 by T. Basu from Canada
This is by far one of the best business and marketing podcasts out there. The guests on this show are the real deal - proven marketers and entrepreneurs with actionable insights to share. Stephan asks great questions and keeps his listeners in mind the whole time. Highly recommended!
- Stephen is a the soft spoken power marketer!December 25, 2016 by Allened11 from United States
Stephen is soft spoken, polite, pleasant and extremely knowledgable... He has helped many people with his marketing advise. His guests talk about the immense results they've gotten from his advise. Everytime I listen to him, I find myself writing pages and pages of notes because he keeps dropping gems of marketing info in every episode. I think I'll start a notebook called THE STEPHEN SPENCER NOTEBOOK!
- J.D.BackNovember 16, 2016 by J.D.Back from United States
I've been a marketing professional in the US and internationally for over a decade and I still learn so much each time I listen to Stephan's Marketing Speak podcast. There is no detail too small when it comes to discovering the latest effective marketing tactic - this podcast delivers every episode!
- Invaluable PodcastAugust 15, 2016 by DaveF1985195 from United States
Stephan is well connected professional that hosts the best online and digital marketers in the world. I have learned a ton from being a regular listener. You need to add this podcast to your list.
- CEOJuly 15, 2016 by Liza Viana from United States
This podcasts includes experts at the top of their field, provided invaluable advice for marketers and agencies of all sizes. I pass on much of the information I glean from them on to my staff, so we can implement many of the ideas, tips and tricks of the trade. With a small agency and staff who is always busy, listening to amazing podcasts like this is an easy way to learn squeeze a lot of great digital marketing info and education into small amounts of time. I couldn’t ask for a better resource. Thank you, Stephan!
- Stephan is a really enjoyable interviewerMay 31, 2016 by Shawn Collins from United States
I love listening to Marketing Speak, because Stephan does a great job of bringing out quality information from his guests - the shows never disappoint.
- Listen to this guy!March 25, 2016 by ZacJohnsonDotCom from United States
Stephan is not only an SEO expert and marketing genius, he’s also a great friend and all around person. If you are in the market for some new podcasting content, do not pass this one by! Lots of amazing guests on this show as well.
- High Value, No HypeJanuary 12, 2016 by Floyd Dillman from United States
I just finished listening to the podcasts with Nicholas Kusmich and with Jay Abraham. These are beyond inspirational - they offer actionable ideas that I can start using right now, presented and explained in an accessible way. Stephan is a great interviewer, and unlike Ferriss or Altucher, he doesn’t waste time telling stories about himself. His questions are great, and once he gets the interviewee going Stephan lets them roll, only checking in to ask follow on questions or to clarify. Oh, and did I mention there are no commercials? I started to listen to a podcast this morning from one of the authors listed above, and the first 8:47 was hype for their sponsors and other projects. None of that on Marketing Speak so far ; ). Keep up the great work. FIVE STARS!
- This Podcast Speaks To You and Your BusinessDecember 21, 2015 by PodcastJunkies.com from United States
It’s clear from the first few guests on the show that Stephan is looking to bring on the best of the best. Having been in a mastermind class with him, I can definitely vouch for the expertise he will bring to this podcast and to the growth of your business. If you’re going to learn, why not do it from the best?
- A must-subscribe podcastDecember 19, 2015 by Starfish2020 from United States
Stephen is ammazing at what he does. His marketing ideas are nothing short of genius. From SEO to SMO his insights are astounding! I attended his sessions in multiple seminars and paid thousands of dollars for them. I'm so pleased that those insights are being given away for free in this podcast!
- Absolutely essential marketing insightDecember 19, 2015 by Canuck Million miler from Canada
Stephan Spencer knows how to drill down and extract some of the best in depth marketing insight. Whether your business is small, great or you want it to grow, this series is worth taking the time out.
- Finally a Credible SEO Podcast!!December 19, 2015 by Jason Hennessey from United States
Stephen Spencer is one of the true pioneers of SEO and probably one of the smartest guys in the industry. I'm excited that he put this podcast together and look forward to listening to future shows!
- Murderously GoodDecember 19, 2015 by darrell.odonnell from Canada
Killer guests, massive content. Depth of content is phenomenal. Thx!!!
- Totally blown away by the payoff from thisDecember 19, 2015 by Huffy hydrophyte from United States
Just listened to my first Marketing Speak podcast, an interview of marketing legend Jay Abraham, and am flabbergasted by the value I got from just that one hour…and it was free! I expect to get maybe one good idea from an hour podcast but this one was chock full! I’m going to need to get the transcript and study it. Such kind words from Abraham for the work of Stephan Spencer too, which I can back up since he has worked with my organization. Looking forward to the other shows!!
- Outstanding Content!December 19, 2015 by kbj104 from United States
Stephan Spencer is a world class leader - I can't express how much I'm enjoying Marketing Speak and the incredible line-up of guests. Kudos to Stephan on delivering so much value. Highly recommend!
- Great Online Marketing PodcastDecember 18, 2015 by mannj24 from United States
Great info and straight to the point. I enjoyed the episode with Neil Patel- good ideas for making money while you sleep.
- Fantastic InformationDecember 18, 2015 by Burrighta from United States
Worth the time to listen too! Many actionable items!
- Marketing Speak Value Bombs!November 18, 2015 by Addy Saucedo from United States
I’m really enjoying listening to this show because it’s providing a must-listen-to marketing strategies/tips to help build my online business. I’ve subscribed so that I don’t miss a show. Thanks Stephan!
- A lot of great informationNovember 16, 2015 by JacqueLevi from United States
There was some really awesome information on online marketing and the guests are at the top of the digital marketing field. Will be looking forward to future episodes.